RFA has the latest on a story that’s slowly been breaking over the last two days. More violence in Xinjiang:
Four Uyghur men shot dead by Chinese authorities last week for suspected bomb-making in the restive northwestern Xinjiang region were prepared for their death and even had made their own funeral arrangements, according to police.
The men were gunned down in a pre-dawn raid at a farmhouse near Korla city in central Xinjiang on Thursday as part of the Chinese government’s “strike hard” anti-crime campaign in the region.
The four men, armed only with knives, knew they had no chance against the gun-toting police.
They gave farewell hugs to their wives and children and made their own funeral arrangements before confronting the pursuers, officers who supervised the operation said.
Six policemen were initially involved in the raid at the farmhouse near Korla city in the Bayin’gholin prefecture but they had to seek reinforcements after a police officer’s arms were chopped at by an assailant, they said.
Seypidin said some top officials had criticized the police operation because none of the suspects were captured alive.
Police identified the ringleader of the suspected bomb-making activity as Nesrulla, who they said moved to the farmhouse from Korla city after a warrant for his arrest was issued on March 5.
Nesrulla also moved his wife and their son to Hejing county two days before the shooting.
Police who monitored the wife’s house in Hejing had detained 12 people who visited her.