“No Foreign Tie Seen in China Attacks”

Ooops! Looks like earlier claims that the attacks in Xinjiang were planned by groups in Pakistan have been retracted. Or have they?

Local authorities in China’s restive Xinjiang region backed away Friday from earlier claims that assailants in a series of recent attacks there had been trained overseas, muddying the central government’s assertion that the violence is being fueled by international terror groups rather than homegrown separatists.

A spokeswoman for the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region said there was no evidence that attackers had trained in Pakistan, as authorities in Xinjiang have previously suggested, or elsewhere overseas. The regional spokeswoman, Hou Hanmin, said attackers in the region were loosely organized with no obvious links to extremists in Pakistan or elsewhere.

“These people are local, and the weapons they used are homemade,” she said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal.

“In Xinjiang and Central Asia, there have been a series of violent terrorist incidents in recent years. They have all involved domestic and foreign collaboration,” said spokeswoman Jiang Yu at a regularly scheduled press briefing.

Wait, what? Jiang Yu and Hou Hanmin need to get their stories straight. Apparently the ‘terrorists’ were trained in explosives, but then entered China and used knives?! And there’s also no evidence that they ever left China? But “all” attacks have involved domestic and foreign collaboration?! Good luck sorting this one out.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under ethnic conflict, violence, Xinjiang

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s